Members of National Guard are eligible to receive Tuition Assistance (TA) for educational purposes, including up to 100 percent coverage for college courses taken during off-duty hours.
According to location, members may receive state funded incentives for education based on individual state guidelines and eligibility (i.e. TA, waivers, exemptions, student loan repayment). The following is a brief synopsis of National Guard tuition benefits for each service.
Army National Guard (ARNG):
The ARNG Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) provides financial aid to part time soldiers in the Army National Guard to support their professional and personal development goals. Through its quality programs, services and support, soldiers are able to reach their educational objectives, further enhancing the overall strength of the Army National Guard. Members may qualify for one or more of the following TA programs:
Federal Tuition Assistance (Part-time Citizen Soldiers)
The maximum amount paid for part-time soldiers is as follows:
- 100% tuition (up to $250 per Semester Credit Hour or $167 per Quarter Credit Hour)
- Fees up to $500
- $4,500 maximum per Fiscal Year
- High School or equivalency level may be covered at 100% of tuition and fees ($4,500 annual cap applies)
- May be used with the MGIB-Selected Reserve (SR) or MGIB-Active Duty (AD) for the same course. However, SR students must be enrolled at least half time to combine benefits while AD participants receiving GI-Bill-Kicker benefits (i.e. Army College Fund) are NOT eligible for ARNG assistance.
Since ARNG FTA operates on a limited budget, benefits are not guaranteed. Assistance is given on a “first come, first served” basis.
To qualify, you must:
- have a valid expense from an accredited school
- be a traditional (part-time) soldier with an active drilling status
- be eligible from the day you join ARNG, even prior to boot camp or AIT, or while still in high school
- stay in the ARNG during term of course(s)
State Tuition Assistance
While some states don’t offer TA payment, many have additional tuition incentives with varied amounts of funds available. To find out what benefits are offered in your state, visit the Air National Guard ANG Benefits web site.
Go Army Ed (Activated Guard and Reserve)
If activated, you will be eligible to receive Army Tuition Assistance for Active Duty and Activated Reserve/Guard. The program offers 100% tuition and fees up to $250 per Semester Credit Hour and $166 for each Quarter Credit Hour, with an annual cap of $4,500.
Air National Guard (ANG):
The ANG provides to its members access to all DANTES credit-by-examination programs, Community College of the Air Force Associate Degree programs, FTA for distance learning courses, and state education benefits.
State Tuition Assistance
The same as the ARNG, not all states offer payment of tuition assistance for ANG, although many offer extra incentives in varying amounts.
Air Force Tuition Assistance (Activated Guard and Reserve)
If activated, you will become eligible for Air Force TA for Active Duty and Activated Reserve/Guard. The same caps apply as described above under Go Army Ed TA.
For complete details concerning Tuition Assistance benefits and procedures, please visit your base education office and speak with a counselor.
*This article is based on publicly-accessible information and has not been reviewed or approved by any military branch.